What’s TrueCrypt? It’s a free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux. It’s main features include:
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
I use it for my usb sticks. I encrypt a part of the disk (about 50%) where I use the encrypted part for my sensitive information and the “public” part for non-sensitive information. After using it for about two months, I can assure you that’s it’s relativily easy to use for security software. It provides you with a tool to secure your data in a simple manner.