- Go to the ESXi console and press alt+F1
- Type: unsupported
- Enter the root password
- At the prompt type “vi /etc/inetd.conf”
- Look for the line that starts with “#ssh” (you can search with pressing “/”)
- Remove the “#” (press the “x” if the cursor is on the character)
- Save “/etc/inetd.conf” by typing “:wq!”
- Restart the server. Many guides say that you just have to restart the services, but this fails…
Login through ssh after the reboot and get the following:
login as: root
Tech Support Mode successfully accessed.
The time and date of this access have been sent to the system logs.
WARNING – Tech Support Mode is not supported unless used in
consultation with VMware Tech Support.