Today’s post will cover three more advanced topics that I’ve seen surfacing on a regular basis ;
- Transferring a Subscription versus Changing the Directory of a Subscription
- Moving resources between subscriptions with different AAD (Azure Active Directory tenants
- Understanding the relationships between components when leveraging an Enterprise Agreement (EA)
- Various advanced scenarios on how AAD in intertwined between subscriptions & the EA
Transfer vs Change Directory
Apparently there is a bit of confusion between the “Transfer” and the “Change Directory” buttons for a subscription ;
In essence ;
Transfer Subscription = Change the Owner AND Change the Directory
What does that mean?
- If you want to transfer the billing of a subscription, you do a “Transfer“.
(Do note: Transferring a subscription will also change the directory to the one linked to the new owner. If this is a different one, then you’ll be linked to a new AAD Tenant.)
- If you do not want to transfer the billing, and just change the directory, you do a “Change directory“.
(Do note: Changing a directory will not remove the account owner. And (s)he’ll still have owner rights on it! Also be aware that all rights set linked to the previous tenant will disappear. So you’ll have to reinstate IAM. For which you can easily leverage management groups...)